Legal / Statutory Information


Legal / Statutory Information

In this section of accommodation set up, you will find information on planning regulations, health and safety, business rates, signage, licensing, data protection and much more...

Planning Permission

It is advisable to contact your local Planning office before you start any work or open your business to ensure that you have the necessary permissions and you are not breaching any conditions on your property.

Building Control Regulations

If you need to make alterations to your building or additional construction work is required you may need Building Regulations consent. These regulations set standards on the safety, sustainability and stability of any building work. Please read the section Building Control

If you require more information  Email Building Control 

Building Site
Signage for your business

The display of all outdoor signage is governed by the provisions of the Town and Country Planning (Control of Advertisements England) Regulations 2007. These regulations concern size, lighting, height and fixing. Much of the Rother area is designated as an area of outstanding natural beauty, some of which falls within a designated conservation area which can restrict the erection of exterior signage.

It is advisable to seek the advice of the Council's planning office before commissioning signs for your premises to clarify what permissions you may require. Write to the planning department at Rother District Council, Town Hall, Bexhill on Sea. TN39 3JX, include information on the address of property, size and position of sign and details of illumination if appropriate.

Alternatively you can telephone the Customer Help Point on tel: 01424 787000, if staff are not able to assist you your enquiry will be passed to a planning colleague.

You can also visit our Conservation website pages 

Sign image
Caravan Site Licensing

There are over 100 touring, static and permanent sites in Rother, which are inspected primarily for fire safety, hygiene and electrical safety. The Council is also responsible for evicting illegal encampments from Council owned land.

If you require more information on Caravan site licenses please contact:
Richard Hoyland, Environmental Health Licensing Officer, Tel: 01424 787553 Email Richard Hoyland or visit Caravan and Camping site licences

Caravan Site image
Business Rates        

For information on business rates please visit our website Business Rates. You can also find more information on the Business link website: Business Link -Business rates

Sterling Coinage
Health and Safety

As the person with control over the premises you have responsibility for the physical safety of anyone who comes on to your premises.  Rother District Council's Health and Safety service exists to protect the safety and wellbeing of those at work and all those who visit workplaces (contractors customers etc). Health and safety within the Rother district may either be enforced by the Council or the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) who are based at East Grinstead and Ashford.

All premises will be regularly and routinely inspected, based on a risk rating scheme and the interval may vary between once a year to every 10 years.

Please contact: Environmental Health, 01424 787550 and email

You may also wish to contact:The Health and Safety Executive for more information  Info Line: 0845 345 0055 or email Email or visit  Health and Safety Executive Website

HSE logo landscape This link opens in a new browser window
Food Hygiene

All food businesses are routinely and regularly inspected by Rother District Council based on a risk assessment of the premises made at the time of inspection. The interval may vary between 6 months for a 'High Risk' premises to every 3 years for a 'Low Risk' premises. In addition to inspections samples are taken regularly to check that foods are free from harmful bacteria. Complaints are also investigated and advice given to food business owners

Please contact:Una Kane on Tel: 01424 787546 or email:  Email Una Kane or visit Food Hygiene

Fire Regulations

For information on how to comply with fire safety legislation please visit the GOV UK website

Fire Regulations image

Disability Discrimination Act - Disability and Equality Act 2010

The Disability Discrimination Act has mostly been replaced by the Equality Act 2010, however the DDA still applies to all businesses providing a service to the public regardless of size. The legislation ensures that all businesses provide reasonable access to visitors with disabilities.

For more information visit Direct Gov disabled People rights and Obligations

Visit England have recently produced a booklet titled "At Your Service" Visit which provides information on how to improve accessibility within your business for customers.

Access Visits are also available from the Hastings and Rother Disability Forum, see section 3 Advice and Support for further information.

Direct Gov website This link opens in a new browser window
Direct Gov website

Data Protection

If you process personal data you must comply with the Data Protection Act 1998.All public and private organisations are legally obliged to protect any personal information they hold, and may be required to notify with the Information Commissioners Office.

The Information Commissioners Office (ICO) is the UK's independent authority who upholds information rights in the public interest, promoting openness by public bodies and data privacy for individuals. The ICO website provides detailed information on what is expected of you as a business and how you can notify the ICO if appropriate. or Tel: 0303 123 1113 or email:

TV Licences

Accommodation providers must be covered by a valid TV license if staff or guests are watching or recording television programmes as they are aired on TV. The 'Hotels, hostels, mobile units and campsites license' covers all types of visitor accommodation. One license covers 15 units/rooms.

For more information visit TV Licensing 

TV Licensing logo This link opens in a new browser window
Music/Radio Licence

If your customers, visitors or employees are listening to copyright music on your premises, by law you must ensure you hold the necessary permission.

The PRS for Music issue music licenses for businesses. For more information visit or Tel: 0800 068 4828

Top of Page   Next section - Advice, Support and Training

Music Copyright image
Powered by GOSS iCM