How to bid for properties with Rother Homemove
Housing Register and Homemove - How to apply for social housing
This page gives details on how to join the Council's Housing Register, what Homemove is and how choice based lettings works in Rother
Social Housing In Rother
The demand for housing association rented homes in Rother far exceeds the supply and we regret we are not able to help everybody who applies to us. Therefore we positively encourage you to consider other housing options, such as renting privately, low cost home ownership or mutual exchange.
Homemove - choice based lettings in Rother
Homemove is the choice based lettings scheme that Rother District Council uses to advertise vacancies for social housing in Rother. The Council does not own any properties but maintains a housing register of applicants. Rather than homes being allocated by the council, choice based lettings allow applicants to bid for the available properties they are interested in.
You can use Homemove if you are a home seeker applying for the first time or if you are an existing tenant seeking a transfer within the Rother area.
All available properties are advertised on the Homemove website at www.homemove.org.uk. People looking for housing association homes in Rother can then bid for homes through the website, by phone or text message.
To be able to bid, you must become a member of the Homemove scheme by applying to the Council for housing. Once you have successfully registered you will be sent a welcome letter with further information on the scheme, your application number and how to bid for properties
In order to be eligible for Homemove in Rother you must be able to demonstrate that you have a local connection to the district.
You will be seen to have a local connection if you meet one of the following criteria.
- You have resided in the Rother District for three of the last five years
- You have close relatives (mother, father, sister, brother, adult children and corresponding step relations) who have resided in Rother for the last 5 years
- You or a member of your household are in permanent employment of at least 16 hours per week in the district or has a confirmed offer of such
- You provide a voluntary or community based activity in Rother of at least 10 hours per week for the past 6 months
- You meet part of the Armed Forces Personnel regulations: Please see our Allocations Policy for further details
Applicants who are unable to demonstrate that they meet this criteria will not be eligible for Rother Homemove.
You may also not be eligible if:
- You have had rent arrears at your property
- If you or friends or family have caused Anti Social Behaviour at your property
- You are currently in Prison
- You are under 16
- You are assessed as having sufficient means to acquire your own home, whether through private renting or home ownership
- You are subject to immigration control
- You are currently living outside the UK
Further information on how social housing is allocated in Rother is available in the following document:
- Housing Allocations Policy - Housing Allocations Policy [352kb]
Further information on how local connection affects your application please view our Local Connection page
How do I apply?
You can only apply using the online application form. You can no longer apply using the paper housing register forms.
Once you have submitted your online application you must provide evidence to support your application within 21 days.
An easy read version of the form is available on request to applicants with a learning disability - please contact 01424 787000 for further information.
Once you have submitted your application online you will need to provide supporting evidence before the Council will assess or process your application. If you do not provide supporting information within 21 days your case will be cancelled and you will need to reapply.
Once we have received your supporting information the Council will aim to process your application within 28 days. The sooner you provide this information the sooner your case will be assessed. Please provide all your supporting information at the same time to avoid delays.
The minimum information you will need to apply is as follows:
- Proof of Id for each family member included on your application ( a copy of birth certificate or passport)
- Proof of Child Benefit/ Child Tax Credits
- Proof of income for each family member included on your application (a copy of last 3 pay slips, benefit award letters or last 3 bank statements)
- Proof of current residence - ( a copy of tenancy agreement, copy of mortgage statement or letter from friend or relative confirming living arrangements)
- Further information to support cases of child custody/residency, carer's, name change etc
- If you have completed the medical section of the form we will also require further information regarding any medical conditions you or a family member may suffer from which is being adversely affected by your current accommodation ( OT reports, consultant or Dr's letters, a copy of your patient summary)
If you are unsure what supporting information to provide please see our supporting evidence guide - List of Supporting Documents [154kb]
All supporting information should be marked with the name of the main applicant and your reference number and be sent to Rother Homemove, Housing Needs, Rother District Council, Town Hall, Bexhill-on-Sea, East Sussex, TN39 3JX or taken to one of our Community Help Points.
Apply for housing
YOUR APPLICATION WILL NOT BE PROCESSED WITHOUT YOUR SUPPORTING EVIDENCE
I don't have a computer at home, how can I apply online?
If you don't have a computer at home, or if you need help with the online application form, you can visit an internet access point. Most are free and available to everyone but some may charge a small fee or only be available to people in certain age groups.
A list of Internet Access points is available here - Internet Access Points [189kb]
If you require assistance to complete the form online please contact Rother Homemove who may be able to refer you to the Citizens Advice Bureau for assistance. Other organisations such as Steps or Homeworks may be able to visit you in your own home.
How long will I have to wait for an allocation?
The waiting time for allocation of social housing varies in accordance with the type and availability of property and where your local connection lies. The following table lists the number of properties let during 2015 and the length of time applicants have waited for a vacancy:
|Type / Size||No. of Lets||Shortest wait||Longest wait||Average wait|
|Sheltered accomm.||47||1 days||5 years||7 months|
|Studio general needs||9||8 weeks||15 months||7 months|
|1-bed general needs||94||7 days||8 years||10 months|
|2-bed flat or maisonette||32||11 days||7 years||8 months|
|2-bed house||41||11 days||20 years||14 months|
|3-bed flat or maisonette||1||8 weeks||8 weeks||8 weeks|
|3-bed house||19||4 weeks||17 months||5 months|
Where can I get help?
If you have any questions or are unable to complete the form online please contact Rother Homemove at: firstname.lastname@example.org or 01424 787000
You can also find more information on the Sussex Homemove website where properties will be advertised.
I am already a member of Rother Homemove but my circumstances have changed - what do I do?
Applicants are advised to update the Rother Homemove immediately if their circumstances change.
Changes Rother Homemove need to be aware of are:
Change of address, changes to your household members, changes to your employment status, changes to your local connection or you have a medical condition which is being adversely affected by the type of accommodation that you live in.
All changes of circumstances require supporting evidence in order to update your application.
To inform Rother Homemove of a change of address please complete the Change of Address form and return with supporting evidence - Change of address [157kb]
If you wish to add or remove a household member from your application please put this in writing or email and if adding a person provide the supporting evidence required.
If you wish to update your local connection to an area please complete the Local Connection Verification form - Local Connection Form [309kb]
Frequently asked questions about the Homemove scheme and choice based lettings in Rother