Gambling Act 2005


Gambling Act 2005

The Gambling Act 2005 came fully into force on 1st September 2007 and the responsibility for gambling is split between Local Authorities and the Gambling Commission.

The Act deals with Gaming, Lotteries and Betting.

Statement of Principles

The Gambling Act 2005 requires Local Authorities to publish a Statement of Principles.


Small Society Lotteries are often run by volunteers but you do need to apply to us for a licence.

Gambling Premises Licences

Premises Licences are  issued by us and include:

  • Casino Premises Licence
  • Bingo Premises Licence
  • Adult Gaming Centre Premises Licence
  • Family Entertainment Centre Premises Licence
  • Betting Premises licence

Gambling Permits

The Gambling Act introduced a range of permits for gaming machines, which are granted by us.

Temporary Use Notices

Temporary Use Notices allow the use of a premises for gambling where there is no premises licence but where a gambling operator wishes to use the premises temporarily for providing facilities for gambling.

Objecting to licences

Local residents, ward Councillors, resident associations and local businesses or business groups may make representations to the Local Authority about the grant or change of a licence.  The responsible authorities - Police, Fire Service, Environmental Health, Planning and the Safeguarding Children Board may also make representations or object.

Operating licences

Operating Licences are issued by the Gambling Commission and are required for individuals and companies who intend to provide facilities for certain types of gambling, for example casino operating licence, bingo operating licence or a gaming machine operating licence. The Gambling Commission also deals with personal licences for operators.

Race nights

Generally speaking you would not need a licence to hold a race night to raise money for charity. For more information on organising a race night, please visit the Gambling Commission's Race Nights page.

Powered by GOSS iCM