Who can claim Housing Benefit?


Who can claim Housing Benefit?

If you are on low income and pay rent, either to the council, a private landlord or a housing association, you can claim housing benefit. You cannot claim Housing Benefit if:

  • You own your property
  • You pay rent to a close relative who also lives in the same property
  • You have savings of £16,000 or more
  • You are a full time student (unless you are under 19 or disabled or live with a partner or have children)
  • You are excluded from receiving public funds (e.g. some asylum seekers and other non-UK nationals)

Your claim will be affected if:

  • You have savings over £6,000 or in the case of pension age customers £10,000. This may reduce the amount of benefit you are entitled to
  • You are single and under 35 years old - your housing benefit might be lower
  • You are a private tenant and the Rent Officer determines that the rent used to work out benefit is less than the full rent charged
  • You are a private tenant and your Local Housing Allowance (LHA) is less than the rent charged
  • You have a non-dependant living in your household benefit may be reduced. The amount of reduction will depend on the income of the non-dependant
Powered by GOSS iCM