Vehicle Eligibility Criteria


Vehicle Eligibility Criteria

On this page you will find information on the specification your vehicle must meet to be licensed as a Hackney Carriage or Private Hire vehicle in Rother.

Please speak to a licensing officer before purchasing a vehicle if you are not sure if it will comply with our requirements.

Your vehicle must:

  • Have four doors of a size to permit easy access
  • Be able to permit the specified number of passengers to be carried in comfort and safety
  • Be in 'pristine' condition (exterior and interior) and maintained in such a condition
  • Provide adequate luggage space within secure compartment for the number of passengers for which the vehicle is licensed (3.5 cu.ft. per passenger (0.09mor 100 litres)
  • Carry a first aid kit and fire extinguisher
  • Have a valid insurance certificate for the carriage of passengers for hire and reward, either by "Public Hire" (Hackney Carriage) or "Private Hire" (Private Hire)
  • Pass a Vehicle Compliance Test (VCT).  Only brand new vehicles with delivery mileage only are exempt from this requirement.
  • Meet age criteria (1April 2018)
  • Rear tinted windows must be no darker than legally permitted front side tinted windows

Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Licensing Handbook

For full details of vehicle requirements, including the specific rules for vehicles with 5-8 seats, please refer to the handbook. 

pdf icon Procedures and Standards of Inspection [138kb]

We have adopted, as a minimum, the National Inspection Standards.

Vehicle Compliance Testing

Licensed vehicles are required to pass a VCT will replace MOTs as a requirement when licensing a vehicle.

Age limit for vehicles

From 1 April 2018, new vehicle licences will only be granted to vehicles less than seven years old.

Tinted windows

Please check our policy on tinted windows before purchasing your vehicle.

Hackney Carriage meters

If you wish to license your vehicle as a Hackney Carriage, you must have a sealed meter fitted.

Exemption certificates

High standards are required for applicants wishing to apply for an Exemption Certificate.

Rear door signs

Your vehicle must display Council approved rear door signs.

Ready to apply?

If you think your vehicle is likely to meet the standard to be licensed then please move on to our Apply for a Vehicle Licence page.



Powered by GOSS iCM