Caravans and camping


Caravans and camping

In this section you will find information on the different types of licence required for the use of caravans or camping in the Rother area.

Usually due to planning permission, holiday and touring sites are generally open between 1st March and the end of October. Permanent residential sites stay open all year round.

The development of caravan sites and their physical standards are controlled through planning permission granted for use of land as a 'Caravan Site' (the legal term), and the site licensing system under the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960 (CSCDA).

Under the CSCDA all 'Caravan Sites' must have a site license issued by the Local Authority. There is no charge for this license. A Local Authority has no discretion over whether to issue a site license on a park with planning permission, but does have discretion over what conditions to apply, bearing in mind Model Standards issued from time to time by the Secretary of State (last issued in 1989).

Caravan sites are periodically inspected by the council to check that the license conditions are being adhered to. Complaints from members of the public are also investigated, with reference to the conditions.

For further information on caravan sites please contact Food and Safety Team on 01424 787550.

Caravan and Touring Sites

These sites are used for holiday use only and should not be used as a permanent residence.  The sites vary from single caravans on a small piece of land through to large commercial sites potentially housing hundreds of caravans.  These sites consists of static caravans and/or touring caravans.  A site licence is issued by the local authority once the owner has obtained planning permission.  Conditions are attached to the site licence including when the site can be occupied.  There is no fee for this licence.

Camp Sites

These sites are for holiday use only for people staying in tents.  This licence is issued under the Public Health Act 1936 and conditions are attached.  A site licence is issued by the local authority once the owner has obtained planning permission.    There is no fee for this licence.

Residential Mobile Homes

These mobile homes are for people to reside in all year round and are generally designed with the appropriate construction and insulation.  These could be individual mobile homes sited on a piece of land or on a mobile home park housing many mobile homes.  The Mobile Homes Act 2013 has altered legislation that govern residential mobile homes sites.  The details are currently being considered by this Authority and once agreed by the appropriate committee further details will be published including our fees policy, this is likely to be late 2014.

iCM Form
Powered by GOSS iCM